Name:
Location: Grayson, Kentucky, United States

Saturday, June 10, 2006

Multiple Choice for calvinistic fear-mongers...

I am so sick of recent attempts by enemies of Calvinistic theology to label (through the re-defining and misconstruing of terms) historic evangelistic calvinism as "HYPER-CALVINISM." I just have one simple question for those who engage in such slander. Which of the following makes me a "HYPER-CALVINIST" (keep in mind, I am a full-blown 5-pointer!)

A) The tireless work that I just put in at my church's week-long VBS, where we had over 200 kids coming in and hearing about the gospel (most on busses, NOT church kids), and over 270 parents/ children on "family night," ALL of whom heard the gospel and were called to repent of their sins and trust Christ...

B) The DOOR-TO-DOOR evangelistic campaigns of those in our church who have canvassed our community, handing out literature and inviting sinners to come to Christ, a campaign which has resulted in dozens of new "bus-folks" that are being picked up regularly...

C) The missions trips that I have participated in over the years (and will be taking at the end of the month) where I travel thousands of miles to work for the growth of the Kingdom in far-away places, preaching Christ and strengthening existing believers...

D) The expository preaching of the WHOLE COUNSEL OF GOD each week, where every text of scripture is addressed from a Christo-centric interpretation and sinners are told to repent and believe on Christ...

E) My personal discipleship of 4-5 young men every week in an accountability/ discipleship group, in which they are taught (evangelistic calvinistic) theology and encouraged to confess their sins, catechize their children, and be leaders in their church...

F) My weekly "home-worship" in which my own children are catechized and taught the scriptures and Christian living...

G) My consistent prayers for the lost all around the world, as well as my fervent support of missions and church-planting (our church planted a new church last year!) and my support of the suffering/ persecuted church worldwide for over 7 years now...

H) My present meeting with a group of 5 children ages 7-10 who want to know about how to be saved. I am meeting with them (and their parents) over a course of many weeks to insure that they FULLY UNDERSTAND the gospel and the commitment it entails...

I) My application for PhD. work in EVANGELISM AND CHURCH-GROWTH, a commitment which (if accepted) will involve intense study, discipline, and self-denial over the course of the next 4 years of my life!

OR...

J) My rejection of the man-centered, Arminian-leaning, decision-based, shallow, pleading that takes place in most churches under the banner of "evangelism" and the invitation system.

I suspect that for most in the "calvinism is dangerous" camp, they will only read "J" and assume that my kind of approach to ministry is "HYPER-CALVINISTIC" and must be stopped before it is allowed to pollute any more churches! Let's get real folks...I'll allow my track-record in ministry to speak for itself. I have never been about "decisions" or "numbers," but always about faithful sowing of the seed. I suspect that many who are so-called "free-willers" who are SUPPOSED to believe in man's goodness and ability to "choose Jesus", seldom engage in much outreach, thus making themselves more "HYPER-CALVINISTIC" (practically speaking) than many of my Calvinistic brethren, who devote their lives and their ministries to laboring for the cause of Christ's elect! (II Tim. 2:10, Titus 1:1)!

Let's quit clouding the issues by misrepresenting the positions of evangelistic calvinists and instead begin judging their ministry by whether or not they faithfully preach the gospel and call sinners to repentance. If they are so doing, then the cries of "HYPER CALVINIST" can be no more than intentional misrepresentation, which in my world is just fancy-talk for "lies."

2 Comments:

Blogger M. said...

Its the same like ours!

2:21 AM  
Blogger Tom said...

Terry:

Thanks for your example in evangelism. May the Lord cause your tribe to increase.

1:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home